If You’ve Been Suspended From Driving And Then Caught, Be Prepared For Some Serious Consequences
A large number of folk depend on their vehicles to get them to work, go out shopping, take their children to school, and many other kinds of routine and regular duties.
Getting a driving license suspension can make a whole lot of difference in our daily lives, and makes the idea of driving with a suspended license, somewhat tempting. And when you think about it, when was the last time you got pulled over and stopped by the police? So what chances are there of it happening today?
But to put a stop to a bad situation getting worse and tempting fate, it really is not a good idea to get behind the wheel of your vehicle while your license is suspended, due to the risk of the severe penalties.
A license suspension can occur in numerous ways.
- The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in many states may call for a “mandatory suspension,” which is required for specific offences.
- The DMV may also call for a “permissive suspension,” where it is then decided on a case-by-case basis, whether someone’s license should be suspended.
- If there is also a conviction for a traffic offence, such as speeding or driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs, the judge will also suspend a driver’s license.
Matters of Crime and Punishment
And although it can be a serious matter, in practically every case, it can be simply dealt with by sticking to the court’s or DMV’s orders and by keeping the car keys at home.
- It is completely against the law in Australia to drive with a suspended licence, not unless yours is an exceptional case granted by the authorities which issued the suspension. Once caught, expect harsh consequences.
All depending on the reason why you were suspended, your case might be treated as a crime or an offence. If it is an offence, you can be given some serious fines. Whereas, if you are to be prosecuted criminally, you can end up doing prison time and also made to pay fines. Whichever the case, you are going to need the professional abilities of a driving while suspended lawyer in Perth, and the sooner the better.
The Fate of Your Vehicle
Along with a jail sentence and fines, your car registration can be suspended and ultimately your car impounded. This will mean that your car will be towed and stowed, and leave you responsible for the high costs of towing and storage, and without a car till all costs are paid.
- Plus, the registration of the vehicle you were caught driving with, can be suspended, even if it’s not your car. (If it can be shown that the car’s owner knew that you had no valid driver’s license when they let you use it)
Concerned? Contact and consult with legal professionals to better your future options.